Welcome

This is a blog about a girl called Kate and a horse called Ulkje... or Jewel as she is known to her friends. Welcome to our journey!

Saturday, 13 August 2011

a fast first week

Sat evening already! Can't believe it's come around that quickly... must be enjoying myself!!


Where did I finish last time, the end of the testing? On Thursday morning we started learning proper. First up was a classroom session, where Carmen explained what the workshop set-up would be and then we had a lesson in the classroom on horsenalities with Vicky Manser. Really interesting, with a lot of detail on each horsenality and looking back to why horses are the way they are, due to evolution. We then were to meet in the stables in our mentoring groups to do some 'online preparations'. We were in the river pasture with Jody and did exercises with haltering with savvy, leading, vet prep- asking the horse to turn their head when you pinch the skin, farrier prep- picking up all four feet from phase 1, and then some squeeze games. Being particular is the focus now, and it is easy to get lazy. With a few of these things I thought I was being particular but I have missed out parts, or get too direct-line, rushing through. The haltering is lovely as you "halter with a hug". The expressions on the horses faces looking round was just so lovely to behold, they were really acting like partners. The foot part was where we had a little blip as Jewel doesn't like her back feet being picked up and I was asking her to do so and not eat grass. She got quite feisty at this and I know it is something I really need to focus on going forward as for her to stand still and pay attention while I hold her back legs (a very vulnerable area for horses as their legs are their tool for fleeing ) is a fairly big deal. 
At lunch time we had our scores for the testing. I wasn't sure which were my scores as my membership number (under which they were listed) was incorrect, but I had a look at the results that were listed for the number most like mine, and wondered if they were mine! I wasn't too worried as they are really just a marker for where you are at when you get there and there is so much to learn before we get tested again so I was happy to wait until the next day to confirm whether they were my results or not! 
Friday came around quickly and we started with workshops without horses, learning to deal with our 45 foot lines. I thought I was pretty OK with this, but it turns out I need far more practice! We had lots of laughter as we had to pretend to be the horses and there were a few tangles, but most people looked like they had started to feel more at home with the rope. I learned that I had made an error on my testing as I had tried to coil the rope the wrong way, no wonder it took me ages (Jacqui, who was monitoring the testing said my persistence was admirable, haha). We then had the choice of three workshops and I made it to two of those to have a play with the concepts. In the hill pasture we achieve three good sideways all the way to the end of the 45 ft line, with rhythm, so I was pleased to leave it there. We then played zone 5 driving, and Vicky reminded me that we can give ourselves permission to help ourselves and our horses sometimes. As it is zone 5 driving I was thinking, well I cant come out of zone 5, even if it all goes wrong, and of course, if either of us is struggling with something then I can just come forward to help, and then go back again if I wish. Its OK to help ourselves, and the best way to make sure something gets learned correctly, rather than struggling through! We also talked about using point to point as it gave us a focus, rather than wandering aimlessly. No chance for Jewel to out-focus me there!!!
Carmen gave us a demo using Raz after this, and it was just beautiful to watch. The lightness really made me realise that even my phase 1 is too much, and merely intention can be enough... It was covering the "doing simple things with excellence", so she talked us through preparations for freestyle, saddling, a little on bridling, how your horse should be readied. really eye opening and I wrote pages of notes. Must commit all that to memory now!!!
In the afternoon we met with our mentors to talk through our test results. We were all expecting some feedback on our attitude etc but apparently we don't get that till next week! We got to make two online goals and two freestyle goals for the next week and to talk through how we felt this was going. I was quite RBE (who, me?!) and talked quite a lot, but felt that I had got some good things to be working on. The test results that I had thought were mine did turn out to be mine, so I wasn't too surprised! They were fair given the tasks that I had performed, and I feel that they although they are not a comprehensive overview of where we have got to in the programme, they reflected what we  were able to show this week and were a good base to be improved upon!
We ended the week with a couple of drinks at Stoneleigh Lodge. Fun, and great to chat to new friends but they were very funny with us (we had even showered and had make up on) as at first they wouldn't let us in, and then they said we could have a drink only if we sat outside and didn't eat! We must be the riff raff!
Today has involved laundry and supermarket but had a nice chance to play with the horses this morning without workshops as such. I felt that the best thing for Jewel and I was to hang out and do some confidence building, so we played "what can you put your feet on?", and to good effect. Tyres, bridge, pedestal and tarp were all stood on confidently, and most with all four feet (she tends to rush off them when it gets to the hinds). This is all in preparation for one of our online goals, trailer loading.
Back down to the stables now to put the ponies to bed; its such a lovely thing to see their little faces as you round the corner, and the whinnie of hello is such a lovely sound! 



No comments:

Post a Comment